Faith Community Nursing Philosophy
Faith Community Nursing draws its foundations from Scripture. The Faith Community Nurse recognises that:
- Each person is God's creation and made in the image of God, a celebration of God's love, made holy through Jesus Christ and set aside for His purpose.
"God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27
- Our body is a gift from God and the temple of the Holy Spirit. The way in which we respect, care and use our body is our gift of love and praise to God.
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- The human spirit integrates each person's mental and physical dimensions. Wholeness is the integration of these dimensions through Jesus Christ to restore harmony with God and all of creation.
"May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 5:23
- The Faith Community Nurse health ministry is modelled on the example of Jesus, who came to preach, teach and heal.
"He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and heal the sick." Luke 9:2
- The Christian Church has been called to follow Jesus' lead and go out to love and serve each other, and the people of the world.
"For I have given you an example that you should do as I have done to you."